Font Size
Madawaska Valley

Frequently Asked Questions


When is okay to burn outside? When do I need a permit and when do I not?

Burning permits are required from April 1st to November 1st and must be approved and purchased prior to any open-air burning in the Township.  Please be sure to check to see if any restrictions are in place before purchasing a licence and/or burning.

How do I obtain a marriage licence?

  •  A Marriage Licence can ONLY be issued to the couple being married.
  • The attached information package including Marriage Licence Application – Form 3, must be fully completed and signed by both applicants and submitted in person by both or either of the applicants with the appropriate documentation.
  • Both applicants are required to submit two (2) pieces of original documentation:

a)Photo Identification – e.g. Driver’s Licence;

b) Original Birth Certificate or either of the following:
i)  Current Passport,
ii)  Record of Immigration Landing,
iii) Canadian Citizenship Card, or
iv)  A change of name Certificate.
  •  Applicants 16 or 17 years of age require parental consent. Please inquire further details.
  • If you are divorced you must provide either the Original Certificate of Divorce – Form 36B (has a red seal affixed) or a court certified copy, stating the effective date of the Divorce. If you do not have the Original a certified copy can be obtained from the Court Office where the Divorce was granted. NOTE: Photocopies are not acceptable.
  • Individuals Divorce outside of Canada – special requirements apply. You will need to obtain the assistance of a solicitor in obtaining a clearance of the Divorce from the foreign Country. A Clearance Certificate will be issued by the Registrar General authorizing the issuance of a Marriage Licence and must be provide together with the Application for Marriage Licence – Form 3.
  • If the marriage ceremony is not taking place at a church you must provide the civic address (Intended Place of Marriage) on the Marriage Licence Application.
  • Individuals who are either a widow or widower must provide an original Death Certificate for the deceased spouse.
  • If you do not understand or read English, you must provide your own interpreter and he/she must provide identification.There is no residency or citizenship requirements in Ontario and no blood tests or medical certificates are not required to obtain a Marriage Licence.
  • The current Licence fee is $125.00 and is payable by cash or debit only and must be paid at the time of the submission of the Marriage Licence Application.
  • Both parties are required to re-attend the municipal office (by appointment) to sign the Marriage Licence in the presence of the Issuer of Licences.
  • A Marriage Licence is valid for use anywhere in the Province of Ontario and is only valid for a period of three (3) months from the date of issue. (Example: If you are getting married on June 30th, the earliest date that you can obtain a Marriage Licence is April 1st).
  • The municipality does not perform Marriage Ceremonies.
  • Municipal Office Hours – Monday thru Friday (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.).


How do I apply for a building permit?

For a complete "How To" Guide, click here. 



Who do I contact if I'd like to rent one of the community centres for a wedding reception?

Please call 613-756-2747 to check availability.


How and where can I pay my municipal tax bill?

You may pay your taxes by mail, in person, online and/or through your bank.  We do not accept credit card.  If you are paying in person or by mail, please include your stub along with your payment.